Hutton Elementary School Renovation + Addition
Hutton Elementary School Renovation + Addition908 E 24th Ave, Spokane WA
Date Completed: August 2015
Hutton Elementary School was originally constructed in the Spanish Colonial style and completed in 1921. In 1931, two small wings and the gymnasium were added, followed later by several remodels, additions and modular classrooms from 1948 through1980.
Funded by the 2009 Bond, the recently completed Hutton Elementary School Modernization and Addition project provides capacity for 650 students by removing the later additions, completely renovating the historical 17,000 s.f. of 1921 and 1930 construction, and providing a new 45,000 s.f. two-story addition. The historical feel of the original building was preserved by leaving the main entry at its existing location while refurbishing the exterior stucco finishes and clay tile roof. A common corridor provides a link between the renovated historic building and the new addition’s classroom wing, gymnasium, multi-purpose room and stage. New parking and loading areas were added to help the congested neighborhood streets while still providing the same area of green space. The project was built to meet Washington State Sustainable Schools Protocol including extensive natural daylighting and many other energy-efficient features. Due to Hutton’s historical significance and its neighborhood setting, extensive community input was incorporated into the project designed by MMEC Architecture and constructed by Garco Construction, Inc.